Monday 5 January 2009

Top Tens Part One -The Songs

The Winner - White Lies


We had five sensible entries for the best songs of the year and thank you to all who could be bothered. What it shows is we have no idea what’s going on in the real world, however for being obscure, geeky gits we win the prize hands down. Andy and Rich (Get well soon mate) if you do a best of best of CD from your list I’ll do the other chaps with edited lowlights from my list. You’ll need 4 copies and maybe one for Craig who did make a halfarsed attempt at an entry. I’ll send then all back out and we can slag each other off all over again for crap choices.

Kim And Jessie - M83

End Of The Line - Metallica

Dig Lazarus Dig - Nick Cave

Wanna Be in LA - Eagles Of Death Metal

No Pussy Blues – Grinderman

Sound like Guns - Alcatraz

The Lovely Eggs - Have you ever heard a digital accordion and I like birds but I like the other

Fight like Apes - I'm beginning to think you love Beverley

White Lies - Death

30 White Lies- Death
29 Secret Shine- Voice Of The Sea
28 British Sea Power- Canvey Island
27 The Early Years- Say What I Want To
26 A Place To Bury Strangers- Ocean
25 Lowline- Monitors
24 Mogwai- Dracula Family
23 Glasvegas- It's My Own Cheating Heart That Makes Me Cry
22 Russian Circles- Youngblood
21 I Like Trains- South Shore
20 I Concur- Lucky Jack
19 M83- Graveyard Girl
18 Vessels- Look At That Cloud!
17 I Like Trains- Friday- Everybody Goodbye
16 Mogwai- I'm Jim Morrison, I'm Dead
15 Prego- Cause & Resolve
14 Jakob- Everything All Of The Time
13 Glasvegas- Geraldine
12 Exit Calm- We're On Our Own
11 Sennen- A Different Life
10 God is an Astronaut- No Return
9 93 Million Miles From The Sun- Take Me Away
8 The Twilight Sad- And She Would Darken The Memory
7 Mogwai- I Love You, I'm Going To Blow Up Your School
6 God is an Astronaut- Snowfall
5 Kyte- Planet
4 This Will Destroy You- Happiness: We're In This Together
3 Mogwai- Batcat
2 I Concur- Oblige
1 The Domino State- What's The Question?

Love is pain - The Verve
Still Burning - Queen + Paul Rodgers
Time to pretend - MGMT
Second chance - Liam Finn
Goodbye daughters of the revolution - Black Crowes
Things ain't like they used to be - The Black Keys
1492 - Counting Crows
Stay positive - Hold steady
Closer - Kings of Leon
Umbrella - Manic Street Preachers
Wire to wire - Razorlight
Remnants - My morning jacket
Push it along - Paul Weller
Horse to water - REM
That's not my name - The Ting Tings
To the dogs or whoever - Josh Ritter
Geraldene - Glasvegas
For Emma - Bon Iver
Grounds for divorce - Elbow
From this I will awake - South San Gabriel

MGMT – Time to Pretend

Foals – Cassius

Bloc Party - Talons

LOTSP – Age of the Understatement

Polly Scattergood – Hate the Way

MGMT – Kids

Mogwai – The Sun Smells too Loud

Young Republic – Bronagh

The Ting Tings – That’s Not my Name

Kings Of Leon – Sex On Fire

Lethal Bizzle – Police on my back

Pete and the Pirates – Mr Understanding

BSP – Atom

The Hold Steady – Slapped Actress

The Hold Steady – Constructive Summer

Gaslight Anthem – Miles Davis and the Cool

Modest Mouse – Float On

Primal Scream – Uptown

Dan and Pip – Thou Shalt Not

Polly Scattergood –Nitrogen Pink

Black Kids – NGT you Boyfriend

Helen Love- Debbie Loves Joey

Natty – Cold Town

Polarbear – Straight Outta Compton

Glasvegas – Geraldine

White Lies – Death

VV Brown – Crying Blood

Florence and the Machine – Kiss With a Fist

Young Republic – The Alchemist

Vampire Weekend – A Punk

The Wave Pictures –Now you are pregnant

Black Kids – Look at me

Withered Hand –Religious Songs

 And the winner is Death by White Lies – 3 Votes.


And Geraldine by Glasvegas with 3 votes but Death is better. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

White Lies is better???!!! I guess it all depends on whether you prefer your "Joy Division meets Interpol" over your "Oasis meets The Jesus And Mary Chain".

Anonymous said...

totally agree and I think that was the conclusion above. I also think a bit duran duran in parts